Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Cheese

Secret confession. I love cheese. It's a great weakness of mine. I found cheese in college. BYU gave me my husband, my education, and a love for cheese. Okay. Not really BYU. I guess my love for cheese came from my cute mother-in-law who piles two cups of cheese on a tortilla and microwaves it for a "cheese crisp." Delightful!!
My latest obsession is feta. I can eat it on anything and since it's a strong cheese I can eat just a little bit and feel healthy! HA! Anyway, I had no idea that there was such an assortment of cheese growing up. My mom only bought the Kraft American slices.
Here's the point. The only cheese I've had that I don't like is GOAT cheese. I can't stand it!! I've tried it in various settings and I find it absolutely disgusting. I always try it again thinking that it will taste like feta and I'll like it, but alas I never like goat cheese.

There are a couple of things I can't stand about goat cheese:
1. The taste/smell of goat cheese reminds me of a wet goat.
2. Goats are cute, but they really stink when wet.
3. My dad had goats when we were kids who were frightening. There was one little black billy goat who was seriously the devil. We'd run across the farm yard to get up in the barn loft to our clubhouse and the black billy goat would chase us head on. He had some little spiky horns, some wicked eyes, and needless to say I got rammed in the back side several times. All of us were afraid of him.
4. One time in high school, when I was feeding some animals on the farm, I heard my neighbor's goat bawling. The sound scared me, but I walked down to the fence to see what was going on and saw a little goat with his head stuck on the far fence. I hiked over the dividing fence and valiantly went over to save the bawling goat. (I think it was a trick.) I reached down and grabbed the goats head, twisted his horns, and set him free. Oh, did I mention that the fence was an electric fence? Just as I twisted his horns, I somehow got my head on the electric fence, and ZAP!!! I got completely electrocuted in my attempts to save the goat!! Also I do believe it was raining.
5. I've eaten goat. I know I shouldn't admit that, but it was quite traumatizing to me as a child.
6. I've had goat's milk. Let's just say this was a dare. It was raining outside. My softball team dared me to run over to the field and "milk" a goat. I did. It was disgusting. I haven't had goat's milk since.
Perhaps my issues with goat cheese, don't just stem from taste. Perhaps I've been deeply traumatized by goats throughout my life. Perhaps I shouldn't admit to so much all at once. Alas, I love cheese, but I abhor goat cheese. Sorry, Mr. Goat!



2 comments:

MaryRuth said...

LOL! I love your post!

I'm a HUGE FETA lover.

My latest obsession is Feta with sliced tomato and those pre-cooked grilled chicken breast strips. I eat it for lunch almost every day. YUMMMY.

My other favorite thing is my feta salad... romaine lettuce, sliced (or diced) red onion, bacon and feta with a little bit of Newman's Raspberry Walnut dressing..... YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Emma said...

I'm with you on the goat cheese, I just wish I had great reasons like you to back it up. Your post was hilarious. I love when you update!